Friday, January 27, 2012

birch hill music

A reader named 'Lee' called the truth of my friend's Robbo story - the one where Robbo was working in shipping at a guitar shop in Boston - into question. I know Lee might very well just be a troll sitting around in her bathrobe, eating Bon Bons, with nothing better to do than be a loser troll. But given that I wasn't there and that the story could be untrue (though I have no reason to think my friend would lie), I've decided to take my previous post down out of respect for Robbo (whose nickname I had admittedly misspelled). ...Thin Lizzy is about five or six obsessions ago for me at this point, but I figured that just this once I should finish what I started... While Nightlife is a transitional album, Fighting is the record where Thin Lizzy really goes for it for the first time with the hard rocking dual lead guitar sound that would ultimately propel them to their commercial peak. The music reminds me of Birch Hill, a ski resort (if you could call such a rinky dink place a 'resort') in upstate New York where my family would go skiing on the weekends when I was a kid. The place was crawling with pimply teenage heschers back then, in their ripped jeans jackets and Blue Oyster Cult t-shirts, smoking doobies and drinking So Co from flasks on the chair lift. These were Dairy Queen Saturday Night types, dead end locals who had no inkling that punk and New Wave were happening downstate in the City. The world was so different before the internet, more culturally uneven. …But while the Thin Lizzy you get starting with Fighting is undeniably Birch Hill music, my favorite track on the album is a cover of an old Bob Seger tune, and it’s the least Hescher-ish track on the record. Check out the how-low-can-you-go guitars that answer the line, ‘she knows music, I know music too, you see… It’s enough to make me wanna put on a pair of skis and have my face break out in zits...




No comments:

Post a Comment