Sunday, July 29, 2012

byrdsongs, iv

Tonight I bring you an artifact from the very peak of human civilization.  It’s been all downhill since, which is not to say it’s been all bad.  Some of the best artistry emerges out of periods of gloomy decline.  But still… I think you’ll agree when you watch tonight’s clip that the giddy optimism is palpable.  The dance routine by itself makes the clip worth multiple viewings, and how can you not dig the girls doing the watusi in their go-go cages?  It makes me sad when I mentally juxtapose it all with the general vibe in the air these days. It’s almost as if I’m watching something that took place on a different planet, in a different galaxy, a different universe.  Whatever it is, it’s a far superior place.  I can only imagine how lovely it must have been to have lived at a time completely devoid of skanky body ink and chronic obesity. But that’s neither here nor there. The important thing is the beauty of the music. The chiming jangle of McGuinn’s guitar sends a pleasing tingle down my spine.  The multi-part harmonies never cease to put me in a trance.  And then there’s Gene Clark, with his tambourine, and one of his best happy/sad songs. He’s the master of taking downbeat words and fucking with you by putting them in a shiny, upbeat context.  Maybe this is another aspect of mid-60s optimism.  The outlook is looking so bright that even breakups can take on a sunny aspect… 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment