Monday, August 13, 2012

jingle jangle mornings, two

My research on the origins and development of jangle continue.  I’ve come to the conclusion that Django Reinhardt was the first jangler, which means that something as Anglo Saxon sounding as jangle actually has French/Latin roots.  The path connecting Jango-o to George Harrison and Jim McGuinn goes through Chet Atkins, Les Paul, Wes Montgomery, Elvis Presley, and Buddy Holly, among others, and so the question becomes how to turn this into a coherent story, and whether it’s even possible to do so.  I’m still wrestling with a lot of stuff about which I’m not knowledgeable. The amount of material is vast and a bit overwhelming. But there’s no rush.  In the meantime, enjoy tonight’s jangle pop classic from the Hollies.  I could hear its 12-string intro all day and still want to hear it some more.  The footage reminds me of how much better Graham Nash was when his hair was relatively short and he wasn’t all in your face with his holier-than-thou hippy shit.  Teach your children how to take a bath is what I say…


No comments:

Post a Comment