Thursday, January 17, 2013

the book of the dead, 6

I hear the wind, and I taste the rain. That line has always struck me as being remarkably vivid.  Something about the harshness of tasting the rain gets to me and puts me in touch with the Dead’s peculiar blend of darkness and benevolent humanism. Don’t give it up / You’ve got an empty cup / Only love can fill.  Damn that's good. As disdainful as I am of hippies, sometimes they get the sentiment just right, and my resistance melts away.  I love the way Garcia’s voice rises to a near-falsetto on the word empty... Mountains of the Moon is my favorite GD song, but Comes a Time is a close second.  The best performance of the tune I’ve heard is from Felt Forum, 12/5/71, which I'm shocked to find available on YT!  Technology and the digital age are usually my enemies, but tonight they're my friends...


No comments:

Post a Comment