Thursday, August 26, 2010

i have a thing for england

LA has always had a love affair with England. And vice versa. One of my favorite books is Evelyn Waugh's The Love One, a Hollywood novel told from the point of view of a droll Englishman. Reading it brings a smile to my face. The movie is brilliant as well, directed by the great Tony Richardson. A pantheon of the UK - LA nexus would include Waugh, Richardson, Led Zeppelin, Fairport Convention, Greatta Scacchi, Morrissey... I love English music and English films. The kitchen sink genre is so great. One of my favorite people in the world is English. I don't see him in person all that often, but it's always great fun to absorb his Englishness when we do get to spend time together. Maybe my affinity for English culture explains why I ended up in LA. I got to thinking about all this after something very English - something pleasingly English - popped up on my iPod tonight...


No comments:

Post a Comment