Monday, February 7, 2011

songs for broken hearts, no.1

Tonight at the gym I had this idea that I would post one sad love song on my blog every day until I don't feel like shit anymore. I hope I'm not still posting them this time next year. Tonight's inaugural selection is one of my favorites from the late Elliot Smith. When I lived in Los Feliz, he rented a bungalow next door to me that looked like something out of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. Occasionally I could hear him playing the piano, and I would often see him at the Mayfair market on Hyperion Boulevard. I never said anything when I saw him because it's lame to do that. In any case, he did not have an especially approachable demeanor and usually looked depressed and lonely. The same vibe definitely comes across in his music, but its grievousness has a warmth and kindness to it that takes you in makes you feel that everything's gonna be ok. ...As it turns out, he was very troubled and struggled with drugs and alcoholism before finally taking his own life in a most gruesome manner in 2003. What a shame. His music touches something deep down inside me, especially at times like these...


No comments:

Post a Comment