Tuesday, February 8, 2011

songs for broken hearts, no.2



Today's edition of SFBH features a lovely bit of pathos from the late Tim Buckley. This one's hard for me to listen to right now, to tell you the truth, given where my head and heart are at, especially when he sings, 'will you ever remember me?' ...Several women on separate occasions have told me that Tim Buckley is the best looking man they've ever seen. And it's hard to disagree. ...My dad had Goodbye and Hello and Happy/Sad in his record collection when I was a kid. Listening to those albums now, it's difficult to figure out how and why I took to them, only because the music is not very kid-friendly, what with its hippy-jazzy arrangements and free-form time signatures. I guess it must've been that they were 'rock' records and seemed like gold nuggets in the midst of all the dreadful Broadway musicals and Nelson Riddleish stuff that dominated the landscape. But also, every once in awhile ‘ol Tim pulled out a more accessible number, something in a folk-pop vein, like 'Once I Was', and those were the ones I liked best, and I still do today. There’s also the matter of that voice of his. Good god, his singing still melts me! It makes all my deeply rooted cynicism evaporate, for a little while anyway, and feels like the kind hand of a grownup who helps you find your mom after you’ve lost her in a crowded subway station. ...Nobody conveys the anguish of lost love quite like Tim Buckley. Yet tonight I noticed that when he reaches for certain notes and holds them in the special way that he does, my sadness turned to something different, something hopeful, and I began to think about falling for someone new all over again...

No comments:

Post a Comment