Saturday, April 16, 2011

songs for broken hearts, no. 69


When I think about how I grew up loving Rod Stewart, the first thing that occurs to me is that his singing has always made me feel so good inside. He's got one of those once-in-a-lifetime voices, completely distinctive in the way that it comes both from his heart and from his cock, at the same time. He's so manly, and yet there's a bit of androgyny going on as well. This was something you could pull off in the 70s, gender bending as a way of reenforcing masculinity. It made guys like Rod Stewart, Alice Cooper, Paul Stanley and Freddie Mercury seem a little naughty to me as a kid, and naughtiness was what I craved... In tonight's song, Stewart offers up a truly inspired interpretation of Macca's first great song as a solo artist. It's a shame that the only version of Maybe I'm Amazed we ever hear anymore is the one on Wings Over America. The studio version on McCartney is far superior, and when Rod and the Faces take it and make it their own, the music transports me to a place where everything is beautiful and romance is just around the corner...


No comments:

Post a Comment