Thursday, September 20, 2012

byrdsongs, l

There's not much more I can say about Gene Clark and heartbreak. All I can do is ask you to listen to the music, if you can go there, and marvel at it's beauty. Today's song feels like a conversation with a close friend who's just lost the love of his life. It's not thrown-off sounding, but it's casual, yet somehow it's also intense and intimate, almost a private rumination. For me, Clark's self-titled 1971 solo album, which later came to be known as White Light, is patchy, though there are quite a few commentators who consider it a lost classic.  I guess it's not quite my cup of tea because I like Clark best when he does the poppy happy/sad juxtaposition I've talked about a few times over these past few weeks.  But even after he veered away from pop in the 70s, Clark continued to make very good music, emotionally intense without trying to be.  That's something very few people can pull off, the mark of a truly gifted artist, and in this case one who was largely and unfairly forgotten until after he was gone...


No comments:

Post a Comment