Sunday, September 16, 2012

jingle jangle mornings, eleven

Can't believe I found Liverpool Echo on Youtube. It's nice to know that there are actually some pop lifers scattered out there in the world. The band's one eponymous LP came out in 1973 but - by design - it sounds like a collection of songs from ten years earlier. Call it neo-Merseybeat. LE's Martin Briley ended up having a fairly obscure career, but he did have his 15 minutes with an MTV video for Salt of my Tears, a nice (if also acerbic) little power pop diddy...  Music like Liverpool Echo, along with contemporaneous records from the Raspberries, Flaming Groovies, Badfinger, Big Star, Dwight Twilley Band, etc, show that pop music was already grappling with its limitations in the mid 70s. I love stuff like this, but I recognize it as a simulation, as an admission that there's only so much you can do with guitar pop. It's a strange paradox: The possibilities aren't limitless, but the addictiveness of the music makes you want to hear more, more, more.  I don't care if I've heard it all before, just give me more, and give it to me now!



No comments:

Post a Comment