Saturday, May 7, 2011

my power pop addiction, no. 18 (90)

The 1977 debut album from LA power popsters the Pop is what I hear playing in my head these days when I picture how great it must've been to live in this city in the mid 70s, back when there were still wide open spaces and infinite possibilities. The layers of guitar in tonight's song, along with its breezy romantic vibe, give the music a unique and ethereal quality that fills me with lightness and joy, much like the increasingly rare treat of riding on an open freeway at dusk. The Pop were kinda sorta in the New Wave vein with their synthesizers and semi-androgynous vocals. The record as a whole is not great, but there are at least three songs very much worth having, tonight's being the best, in my opinion. Let its lovely intricacy put you in a narcoticised-like trance, and visualize palm trees swaying in the warm summer breeze, against a red velvet sunset. I live for this kind of stuff, and I want you to live for it too...


No comments:

Post a Comment