Saturday, May 21, 2011

sweet dreams, polly stevens

I don't want to get too deeply into this because I feel like my blog is rapidly degenerating into a profile of a shut-in male spinster and his cats, but I made the difficult decision today to put my Polly down. Life was never easy for the sweet girl. It can't be when you come from the factory wired to be scared, shy and perpetually on edge. Somehow she survived through 14 years of it. And in spite of herself, she brought so much joy and happiness to my life. I adopted her and her brother Vinnie right after a bad break up while I was still in graduate school. The three of us lived in a rickety walk-up apartment on Silver Lake Blvd, right across the street from Spaceland. Polly was always very cerebral and sensitive. She didn't like for me to be affectionate with her unless it was on her terms. She most certainly didn't like people, except for me, and then only grudgingly. But her reluctance to be more outgoing only made it more delightful when she decided to nuzzle up next to me on the couch or in bed. There are few things in my life that have been as pleasurable as the sound of Polly purring in my ear as she lay on the pillow next to me at night. A few girlfriends came and went over the course of Polly's lifetime, but she was always here for me, a much-needed constant amidst otherwise unrelenting change. We grew closer when her brother died. She really liked being the only cat in the house, I think. But I wanted a second cat, perhaps selfishly, and Polly withdrew a little bit when Vito came into our lives. Vito and Polly didn't really get along, but I can tell he already misses her. He's giving me looks like, 'Where is she, what did you do with her?' She's gone to a more tranquil place, Veet. It just got to be too hard towards the end. She never really recovered from her dental surgery. There's a part of me that wonders why the vet at the animal hospital thought Polly was a suitable candidate for dental surgery given her age and generally dodgy health. But this is not a time to place blame or feel bitter. They did what they could for her, and I did everything I could to make her feel comfortable. Before she was euthanized today, the two of us got to spend some time alone together. I held her and kissed her and cried a lot of tears. She felt so good in my arms, and she looked at peace for the first time in a long time. I told her how much I loved her, and how much better my life has been for having her in it. I think she understood. I hope she did. Thank you dear Polly for loving me so much. I'll never forget you, and I'll always love you...

No comments:

Post a Comment