Wednesday, June 8, 2011

my power pop addiction, no. 49 (121)

One of the nice things about having a blog is that I periodically receive emails from strangers who tell me that they like what I have to say and give me encouragement to keep on going. Not that any encouragement is necessary since this is really a labor of love. Of course, I get the occasional bit of criticism as well, and I can be very thin skinned and defensive, but you have to expect that there will be people who disagree with you if you have strong opinions. So far, the nice people seem to be more motivated to reach out to me, which is probably a good thing. I recently received an email from Abe in Madison, Wisconsin, who made me aware of the Shivvers (yes, with two Vs), a power pop band from Milwaukee who garnered legendary status in the Midwest during the late 70s and early 80s. After having now listened to everything Shivvers I could get my hands on, I have to say that I'm ashamed of having never heard them until now because they're absolutely fantastic. Tonight's song is my favorite of all their songs. I think you'll agree that Jill Kossoris' vocals are splendid, and the song packs quite a little perky punch. I still don't know much about the Shivvers, but the only thing that really matters is that I dig them mightily, and I think you will, too. Thanks, Abe!


No comments:

Post a Comment