Tuesday, June 14, 2011

my power pop addiction, no. 55 (127)

Another thing I've noticed about the Memphis scene is that it tended to produce very somber sounding records. I'm not talking about melancholy lyrical content here but rather about the way the albums actually sound, their physical sound, if you will, or the production value. I can't quite put my finger on what it is exactly that gives the music these guys made such a rainy day vibe. The best example I can think of is the three Big Star albums, each one sounding more gloomy than the one that came before it. There's a strange juxtaposition between the music that makes you so happy because it's well crafted and hooky and perfect on so many levels, but then there's just a certain weightiness to the way the records are produced that makes them sort of...depressing. Even the Scruffs, who obviously had such passion for music and came up with such joyous melodies, have that elusive thing going on where the production value darkens the mood of the music somehow. Is it the use of echo? Is it just some intangible manifestation of 70s malaise? I wish I could say definitively what it is. You can also hear it on Van Duren's Are You Serious and Tommy Hoehn's Losing You To Sleep. When I listen to these albums, I feel like I'm hearing something recorded in a dark room littered with empty whiskey bottles. I'm not trying to say that it's unpleasant listening. Not at all. All these Memphis guys made great music and it's a shame they never received more recognition for it. But I'm starting to think that the reason a lot of their music was ignored has to do with it's generally downbeat sound. I personally like melancholy sounding music, but I think most people want songs to transport them from whatever sadness they have in their lives. Then again, maybe this is just me but I find that a beautifully realized sad sounding song can make you feel so good inside...


No comments:

Post a Comment