Thursday, September 23, 2010

Pop Rocks

Can I just admit upfront that I'm a big Katy Perry fan? I listen to very little new music these days, but she does it for me. I was waiting on line at my lunch place the first time I heard "I Kissed A Girl (and I liked it)." It cut right through the din. I love when that happens in a grocery store, or if you rent a car and the radio is tuned to a Top 40 station. Some of my sweetest childhood memories are of listening to what at the time was called AM Gold. Brandy what a good wife you'd be. American woman. Alone again, naturally... I know Katy Perry's music is an example of the fetish character in music and the regression of listening. I know those songs are made by evil doctors working in some corporate boardroom overlooking Sunset. I know the songs are focus grouped with 12-year-olds. It doesn't matter. The only thing that counts is that it's good. I love great pop. If a song has a perfect hook or just something somewhere that hits the right note in the right way, I'm putty in your hands. And I like her style. It's brash, but she has a sense of humor about herself. She also gets points for being engaged to Russell Brand.... And have you seen this...



No comments:

Post a Comment