Friday, March 18, 2011

Songs for broken hearts, no. 40


I'm going with my bestest buddy tonight to hear Bob Cowsill at the Pickwick Pub in Woodland Hills in celebration of my 43rd birthday. He does this great thing every Friday night, just him, his guitar, and just about any 60s radio hit you wanna hear him play. It's great fun. I have to leave for the Valley in about 20 minutes, but I didn't want to break my string of consecutive days posting SFBH. Routine is very important to me, and I feel like doing this every day has helped me get through a difficult period. Music really does have healing powers. It's an amazing, beautiful thing. ...I'm not quite done with this revivalist kick I've been on. Along with Springsteen, Blondie and the Ramones, the New York Dolls were very much in the revivalist vein. When I was a kid, I used to see the Dolls' records in the record shops. The band looked so scary to me. Maybe I was a little freaked out by the sexual aberration they represented, but they also looked kind of menacing and unpleasant. Bowie, Iggy, Lou Reed and Alice Cooper did as well. It all seemed so wrong to me, yet at the same time I couldn't look away when I saw their pictures in Creem and Circus. The song tonight is in keeping with frightening things. It also happens to rock very hard. Happy birthday to me...


No comments:

Post a Comment